Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Patting Begins (mom)

I have reached a critical threshold in every woman's pregnancy. People have now begun patting my belly.

Fortunately, so far it's just been people I know, and they've asked permission. I let them, not wanting to deprive the enthusiastic patter the privilege of patting. I also find it amusing that they put their head up really close to my navel and talk to it.

For others, the reaction is less certain. They aren't quite sure if I'm pregnant, but they kind of think so. Rather than embarrassing themselves and me by asking, they just look at me curiously and ask how I am in a knowing sort of way. They dare not say out loud that I look pregnant on the off-chance that I'm not, and then they'd be mortified. So, depending on my mood, I either let them sweat it out a bit or let them off the hook by confirming their suspicion.

1 comment:

Ryan, Jennifer and Baby said...

Hey Erin,
I love this blog entry. A girl at work was just telling me, "people are gonna starting touching your belly!" Sounds like you're handling it with humor and grace! Hope you're feeling well... you look great! Jen Madar